Are you an activist with a successful track record? Are you passionate about fair trade, workers’ rights, and sustainable agriculture? Do you wish to work with cutting-edge organizations like Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps, the Agricultural Justice Project, Food Chain Workers Alliance, Community to Community Development, and National Co+op Grocers to champion social justice in our food system? The Domestic Fair Trade Association (DFTA) is recruiting for a National Coordinator.
The DFTA is a consensus-based association of organizations from across the food and agriculture system representing farmers, farmworkers, food workers, marketers, processors, manufacturers, retailers, and non-governmental organizations united by a vision for health, justice, and sustainability. The DFTA is leading the movement for a collaborative approach to building a sustainable agriculture system. The DFTA is looking for a dynamic, passionate, and visionary National Coordinator to lead this organization and the movement. This position reports directly to the board of directors and is responsible for the daily operations, strategic planning, fundraising, internal and external communications, and project implementation for the organization.
The DFTA’s current programs include organizing regional membership meetings, planning for a domestic fair trade promotional week, partnering with researchers on case studies of domestic fair trade, and working in coalition with other members of the HEAL Food Alliance on a new campaign to divest food service companies from harmful practices, and reinvest those dollars into real food.
Specific duties include:
- Strategic and financial planning, along with the board of directors, including program development and member outreach
- Fundraising and grant writing
- Growing the DFTA and the domestic fair trade movement through building synergistic relationships with other organizations and movements, identifying new members, and helping to represent DFTA to the public
- Supporting internal communication and the work of board of directors, members, and committees
- Maintaining the website and other communication tools
- Coordinating the annual meetings of DFTA members
- Experience with organizing and/or movement-building
- Relevant knowledge of key issues in sustainable agriculture, food, or trade
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with fundraising or growing a membership organization
- Commitment to the vision, values, and principles of the DFTA
- Spanish language skills desired
- Location is flexible
- Some travel is required
- This is a permanent full-time salaried position with negotiable terms
- Persons from historically underrepresented populations, including BIPOC, GLBTQIA, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Ideal start date is Oct. 15, 2018; position will remain open until filled by the right person
Applications will be accepted until the job position has been filled. However, the soft deadline for applications is September 15th with desired starting date of Oct 15th. Please send applications to email@example.com with the subject line: DFTA National Coordinator Application. If you do not hear back from us within 2 business days, please re-submit your application.